Thursday 3 May 2012

Book Review for The Calling by Kelley Armstrong

The Calling by Kelley Armstrong
Release date: April 10, 2012
Publisher: HarperCollins
Pages: 326
Summary: Maya and her friends, all of which have supernatural powers, are kidnapped and fleeing their home island because of a forest fire and after a terrifying helicopter crash, they find themselves stranded on an Vancouver Island in the wilderness. While being stranded, Maya and her friends figure many secrets, and that Vancouver Island may not have been what it seemed.
Thoughts: I would have to say, Kelley Armstrong's series, Darkest Powers was probably one of my all-time favourite series and when I heard that she was writing another series that linked to it, Darkness Rising, I couldn’t wait to feel her wrath of power in her writing again. She completely draws you in and makes you feel like you are the protagonist, Chloe in the Darkest Powers trilogy or in this book`s case, Maya.  Maya is a very strong character. She is brave and stands up for what she believes in and from what she has gone through, well, she has got some GIRL POWER!
       Kelley Armstrong’s books have changed my life. I mean with all the drama and power she puts behind her writing and the way she writes her novels and characters so you feel as if you are them and you can completely feel the way they are the betrayal and shifts come in.  I do have to say that I think Kelley Armstrong is one of the best writers out there that I have experienced so far. She has just an amazing talent behind what she does. Coming up with the whole plot of this story is unthinkable and the way she makes you shiver when you can feel like a ghost is there, (in the Darkest Powers Series) and when you can tell that something is going to go wrong if she goes in that room, or opens that door.  You just get this total rush of frustration because you want to reach out and tell whomever it is that you can`t go in there! You`re going to get hurt! Don`t do it! Or there is the rush of adrenaline that you get when the kids are running away or are being chased. If you have read the book, there is one place in like the first 50 or so pages that gives you that feeling. You know what I’m talking about.
         I would say that the calling is like The Gathering but with a big boost.  The kids go from living in the troubled Vancouver Island to out on the run from a group that wants to take them away because of their supernatural abilities. The journey never feels slow and after one amazing part comes another INCREDIBLE part that makes you not want to put this book down.  There was only one downside to The Calling that didn`t make me hate the book, I mean, I love this book and Kelley Armstrong as you can see. Only, in The Calling, there was a lack of answers compared to what I thought I would find out. There is one more book to complete the trilogy,(The Rising), which I hope will reveal everything and be even more action packed then this one.
          With all the character`s in the book, we learn a little more about their pasts and what their abilities are. The only I would have liked to see more of is answers to why they had these things and why is Serena dead, who killed her and what happened more with Maya and Rafe and her life.
           I still do LOVE this book and will probably be one of the best of 2012 and if you like a fast pace thriller, defiantly read this book. You won`t regret it. I would give this book 4.5 out of 5 stars. I think if it would have had just some more answers it would have been number one. Anyway, really good book and I am thrilled for the next and final book.
Rating: 4.5/5 Stars
Recommended for people who like: Action, Survival Stories, Romance and Thriller novels  

No comments:

Post a Comment