Tuesday 18 December 2012

Book Review for Broken by A.E. Rought

Broken by A.E Rought
Release Date: January 8, 2013
Publisher: Strange Chemistry
Pages: 416


Summary: In Broken, A.E Rought brings a modern day twist to Mary Shelly`s Frankenstein...
     A lot of suspicious deaths have been happening near the small town of Michigan and one claims the life of Emma Gentry`s boyfriend, Daniel. After the tragedy, Emma`s life is falling apart and she feels almost broken. Daniel and her were made for each other and meant to be together forever. 
         Now a mysterious boy has appeared in town, Alex Franks, the son of a widowed surgeon. As Emma becomes closer to Alex, she realises that he knows things that no one else but Daniel knew, for example being able to open Emma`s locker when it is stuck. Even his hazel eyes and little brown flecks are exactly the same as Daniel. 
         When Emma stumbles upon a grotesque and terrifying discovery existing of mangled live animals that are supposed to be dead and many other suspicious things inside the Franks`estate, she starts to wonder who and what the Franks are. 



Thoughts: Having heard many different versions of Frankenstein before, I was not sure how this book was going to sit with me but A.E Rought exceeded my expectations for this book. This novel was planned out very well and did not follow the exact story line of Frankenstein which made the book not as predictable as it would have been if it followed exactly the same plot line. 
         In my opinion, Broken was well written and had a very intense and intriguing plot line that grasped the readers attention. One thing that could have been done a bit better was if the beginning of the book to really pick up then and there. It took a few chapters to really get into the book and to be introduced to all of the characters and the base of the plot. 
         Throughout the whole time spent reading it, I had my face stuck in the book, literally. I was reading the book and thought just one more chapter and ended up reading about fifty more pages. This is how thrilling Broken was. The book gave me tones of mixed emotions. I was laughing at one point and then bawling the next. There were also moments where I was sitting on the couch, screaming in my head because I was afraid of what was going to happen next. I love it when authors make their novel include sections that give you mixed emotions so you do not know whether to cry or to have a huge smile grow on your face. 
         In the whole book I would have to say that Alex`s father was the darkest and starngest character of all. For those who have read this book, would you agree? My favourite character would have to be Alex because he was so kind and always there for Emma whenever she needed him. He was a little mysterious in the beginning but as the story went on, his character became a compasionate, caring and loving person. 
         Overall I would have to give Broken 4 out of 5 stars because it was a fabulous book and I am so happy to have read it. There were a few things here and there that could have been better but overall, Broken was a very well done book so I would just like to say that A.E Rought did an amazing job and you should all read Broken! Comment your thoughts about the book after you read it down below. 
         Lastly, I would like to say thank you to Netgally              « https://www.netgalley.com/ » for sending me my first every advanced readers copy and I am so pleased to have read it. I would also like to thank the publisher, Angry Robot and Strange Chemistry for approving my request on Netgalley. Thank you to everyone!



Rating: 4 out of 5 stars 
Recommended to people who like: Frankenstein, romance, mystery and thrillers

No comments:

Post a Comment