Thursday 19 July 2012

Book Review for The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rothenberg

The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rothenberg
Release Date: February 21st, 2012
Publisher: Penguin Young Readers Group
Pages: 375

 
 
Summary: Brie's life comes to a tragic end when she dies of a broken heart after her boyfriend tells her that he doesn't love her anymore. Her heart breaks and that is the end of sixteen year old Brie's life.
    The only thing is now she is dead, she is living in the afterlife at a cafe and soon returns to her birth town, Half Moon Bay with guidance from a boy named, Patrick. Soon, Brie's family secrets start to unravel, her best friend was keeping a HUGE secret from Brie about her, now ex-boyfriend Jacob and the truth about his "heart breaking" betrayal. Last of all, there is Patrick who is Brie's guide around her new way of life as a Lost Soul and he might just hold the key to her life after death.
    With Patrick's help, Brie must pass five certain tests before she can move on wit her new life but the question is, how does she begin, and when will her heart mend from the unforgettable breaking?
 
 
Thoughts: The Catastrophic History of You and Me is probably one of the saddest and most enjoyable book I have read this year. I have so many mixed emotions for it. This book made me cry and laugh but still have such an enjoyable time reading it. Jess Rothenberg made this book just completely unpredictable with the turns it takes and a really fun, cute read that I was not able to put down.
     Another reason that I loved it was because Jess Rothenberg does a fantastic job in making the death of Brie both sad but with just the right amount of humour. Her writing was amazing and from what I heard about it before I even read this book was that she is a fabulous writer and just makes the books just come to life which is exactly what I think and I would pick up one of her books in an instant. She is one of my favourite debut authors of 2012 and I am super excited to read her future books!
          I think that Jess Rothenberg did an absolutely amazing job with the protagonist, Brie. She was so quirky and fun and adorable. Rothenberg did an awesome job with making Brie have the voice and really act like a 16 year old girl. You could tell how she was a really good teenage character because she said OMG and LOL. She also had hilarious comebacks to Patrick, even though some of them didn't make that much sense. It was the whole charade of being a teenager. It was very believable.
     Rothenberg's style of writing was different then others but really fun and made The Catastrophic History of You and Me an even better book. It tied the whole thing together.
            I would rate The Catastrophic History of You and Me a 5/5 stars because I LOVE it SO much and just made me cry but then burst out laughing and I was unable to put it down until I finished the very last page.


Rating: 5/5 stars
Recommended for people who like: Sad books, Humour, Drama, Romance and Teenage reads

No comments:

Post a Comment